Thursday, May 8, 2008

Things I Think I Should Know

I'm turning 37. By my calculations (and with my math skills, I could be wrong) I've lived over 13,140 days. There are a few things I feel that I should know by now, either by experience or just from living so many days:

1) How to cook anything other than mashed potatoes.

2) How to rest when I know I'm getting sick rather than go-go-go and then getting REALLY sick.

3) To keep a pair of flats at work for those days when I am soooooo tired of walking around in my heels.

4) That little fights, and often big fights, blow over.

5) That it's okay to take risks and not always walk the safe path. (Peace Corp?!)

6) That my parents, and grandparents, and great-grandparents, were people EXACTLY like me at one point, at age 36-going-on-37, and they likely had the same types of worries and happiness that I have.

7) That the grass is almost never greener on the other side of the fence.

8) That life always works itself out.

Some of these things I know at age 36. Some of these things I don't. Some of them I know some of the time but not all of the time (well, I never know how to cook to tell the truth). I guess I have plenty of time to get it all down.

1 comment:

nate and marne said...

i like those, we should all know more than we actually do. i especially like the cooking one. you know how to do desserts, mom says you were the only one who would make them. i wish we were closer together in age, so i could remember more of your time at home. i have very sporadic memories of it.