Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Big Three-Seven

I don't like the 7's. Some of them, anyway. I don't remember 7. I do recall being 17- sucked for reasons I won't disclose on this blog (which may or may not have included getting the surprising news that I was to become a mother...). Ten years later, when turning 27, all I could think about is that I was almost 30 (turning 30 itself was a breeze in comparison!). This year, I'm going on 37. That's The Big Three-Seven. For those of you who haven't turned 37, let me give you a little tidbit of information: it kinda stinks.

Here's why:

I don't feel 37. I feel 23, tops. And the worst part is, I consider myself a young, hip 37. Sorta happenin, sorta cool. Then again, I bet my parents considered themselves hip at that age, and trust me- they weren't!

I don't want to turn 40. Yet, it is starting to look inevitable.

I like my 30s. I don't want to be done with them. The 30s are free spirited, they're fun, and I've really enjoyed them. What if something dreadful happens to make the 40s downright miserable?!

None of my baby sisters have to turn 40 yet. It may have been fun to get the first drivers' license, to get married first, and/or to go on a date first, but I don't think it's fair that I now have to be the one to turn 40 first. My big brother does have to go before any of the girls (next year) but I don't think he cares so it doesn't count.

This blog will include my thoughts, feelings, and fright at the idea of turning The Big Three-Seven. More to come!

3 comments:

KMireille said...

On a more serious note, I was reminded today how short life can be- and, kidding aside, I am grateful for every single day that I have with my family and friends. 37 years of being surrounded by wonderful people is lucky- and hopefully I'll have 37 more!

Sue said...

I love the blue hair! Although isn't that supposed to happen when you are 80-ish? Or is that a purple rinse? :)

None of your sisters might have to turn 40 before you do, but your sister-in-law does!! Aren't the 40s the new 20s (shhhhh, don't tell me I am wrong .... I need hope!)

nate and marne said...

you guys are hilarious, i have to turn the big 2 7 this year, that is scary enough!! it's good to see you guys on here, check out mine too. i do miss the blue hair, do it again. and i agree, we want you around for another 40 years at least. we love you and can't wait to see you guys. are the girls coming too, or just you?