Thursday, May 15, 2008

Philosophical Chat

Why do you suppose that I wax philosophical about turning 37? Because I was a philosophy major in college? Because I still go to bookstores and drool over philosophy texts? (I do). My baby sister thinks I'm a nut, and maybe I am. So, here are some non-philosphical tidbits about me.

First, I have trouble sleeping without a "little (green) pillow. It used to be green. For a while it was gold. Now it is brown. It all started when I had a little girl, called Ashley, who refused to sleep through the night. As many parents know, the only way to get your little one to sleep through the night is to let them cry themselves to sleep. As only my ex-husband knows, I had real, real, real trouble listening to my babies cry themselves to sleep. Thus, the little (green) pillow. I would place said pillow over my ear while Ashley cried herself to sleep for two nights. I would recommend to all of my friends who are going through this. with their little babies..don't be home when your baby learns to cry herself to sleep. It is heart wrenching, and you may become addicted to having a little green pillow cover your ear as a result, like me.

Second, I wish I had never bought a house. A condo is so much simpler. With a house, you have to deal with lawn care, snow removal (hello, ME, and it got REALLY old this past winter), etc. It sucks.

Third, relationships (with men) are difficult to matter how old you are. There are always pros and cons. I am 37 and still have trouble making them work. Maybe it is just me. Maybe it is everyone. I have no freaking clue.

Fourth, find the things that you really like and do those. I am, personally, going to take a braille course. I already have started learning the letters (although not in a format that I "feel" them, just visualization). It is all about the dots!!!

Fifth, life is for living NOW. Not later, but NOW. If you are waiting for something...stop it. You do not know when you will die. You just don't. My friend is buried up the road from my house- it is highly hilarious that we are neighbors now, although he lives in a cemetery and I live in a house that requires snow removal and lawn care. The thing is- he told me time and time again that he would travel to Europe (which he really wanted to do) when it "worked out." Guess what. It never did, and he died in a car accident. SO LIVE YOUR LIFE NOW.

That's all.

1 comment:

nate and marne said...

your baby sister doesn't think you are a nut, i think it's cool that you think about all sorts of things. it makes life interesting. i did not know about the little green pillow, that is great. so ash has the blanket strips and you have the pillow. silly girls!! i can't say a pillow worked to muffle any of my babies cries, i just had to suffer along with them. but it is so worth it!! getting sleep is the most important thing to mommy!! tomarrow i get to go off the meds, so hopefully i will get to have this darling baby soon!!