Sunday, September 27, 2009

Interesting Facts For The Day

I learned some things today which may be surprising:

A) I like riding on the back of a Harley Davidson "Fat Boy" on Michigan back roads in early fall;

B) Motorcycle riders use a sign language (of sorts) to communicate and say "hello fellow motorcycler, nice to see you, hope you are having a nice motorcycle ride;"

C) It is wise to keep a spare ponytail on hand while motorcycling about in case the one on your head gets lost;

D) Turning corners on a motorcycle is all about leaning; and

E) Per today's analysis, Eaton Rapids has the cutest downtown (if you don't count the historic Mason courthouse with the cannon out front, donated from Cuba in 1900, because the courthouse feature gives Mason an unfair advantage).

That's right- you are reading correctly- I went for a longish motorcycle ride today. I'd call it a bike ride, which may be the correct technical parlance, but then my chickens would think that I rode my purple non-motorized bicycle (named Trixie) to all of those places and everyone knows I am not in good enough shape to do such a thing as the last time I rode my bicycle to Lisa's house in East Lansing her sister had to drive me (and Trixie) home.

I LOVED the motorcycle ride. It was just like riding Trixie but without the strenuous peddling that goes along with Trixie adventures. Being on a motorcycle (as the passenger) was actually quite similar to riding on a waverunner (which I LOVE) but without the joy of knowing that if you fall off you will, at worst, do an uncomfortable belly flop. I was told that people do not fall off of the back of motorcycles, however, like they sometimes do off of the back of waverunners.

Something I've been paying more attention to as I get older: the things that we have dismissed out-of-hand when we were younger (like joining a motorcycle gang) may have been made upon false assumptions and, perhaps, the judgment of others which in turn influenced us. It makes sense to try new things as we are older, because we just might find that they are fantastic.

No Mom, I am not actually going to join a motorcycle gang. Yet. :)

No comments: