Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On Being a Mom When Your Smallest Chicken Is Going to College







Certain moments in a mom's life spark reflection. At first, these moments are so important that they get documented in a baby book- you know, baby's first smile, first steps, first words. As time goes on, day-to-day activities take over and only "bigger" things cause a mom to step back and take pause, like the first day of kindergarten (tears). Then sending a child to middle school. (tears, tears). High school graduation day comes along (tears, tears, tears), summer flies by, and suddenly one day you look at your calendar and realize that your smallest chicken is going to college in one week.









A week.









Oh no.









I don't think I'm ready.







I know from talking to my own mom that the strange feeling of being alone in the house (which incidentally I imagine will entail silent ghostlike wanderings down my hallways late at night) will fade within a few weeks, to be replaced by that feeling of freeeeeeeeeeedom which I had looked forward to for ages. In the meantime, I find myself reminiscing, looking at old photographs, wondering where the time has gone.









Kiss your little ones, as they won't stay little forever.

1 comment:

nate and marne said...

isn't it crazy? the last 20 years have gone by so fast!! i know soon i will be saying the same things, but at the moment, rachel has a roll of tp draped across her neck and all over the floor!! what do i do with that girl?? you are so lucky to have some freedom coming your way!! i'm so jealous right now!!!