Monday, September 17, 2012

Climbing Out A Window

A few days ago, an amazon.com package appeared on my doorstep.  Joy of joys, amazon.com always means a new book!  The problem was, I did not remember recently placing an order.  Not one to ask questions when a new book is looming, I ripped open the package and there it was- a book I had ordered months ago but forgotten about:  The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  Greg's German colleagues had recommended it during one of his visits to Munich, and I had been waiting for the English translation to become available.

The book is intriguing- a man is scheduled for his 100 year birthday party when he realizes his life is far from over, he does not want to be in his nursing home another minute, and out the window he goes (he must have been spry for 100).  How many times have we, in our lives, wanted to do just what that man did?  Escape our reality - escape work deadlines, upset children, financial responsibilities - if only long enough to catch our breath before we get caught?  

Which leads me to a true story.  In court and very stressed out one week, I casually looked over to the Bailiff.  He gave me a smile and a nod of the head; I gave a nod in reply and dropped my eyes, noticing the hand cuffs strapped to his belt loop.  Handcuffs, I thought.  Ugh, it would suck to be in handcuffs, without a phone, e-mail or....heeeeeey, I thought.  Wait a minute.  No phone.  No e-mail.  No one from work could reach me! No WORK STRESS!!!  My mind was a whirlwind of desire - at that moment, for longer than I care to admit, I imagined how nice it would be to sit in a cell with nothing to do but read.  It sounded idyllic. For a few minutes, I imagined that jail was heaven.  When I got home and told my husband, he imagined I sounded crazy.  

Which leads me to my question of the day:  do you ever take time to be irresponsible?  Do you take an afternoon off to go to the park with your kids?  Do you sneak out of work early to meet your significant other on a weeknight, just the two of you?  I don't often, and feel sometimes like responsibility is stifling.  Maybe it is time for me to climb out the window.  



   

1 comment:

Sue said...

I love this! You and I are in the exact same place I think. Must be the age? :) Lately I have very much wanted to escape if only for a few hours and do nothing, be nothing, think nothing and have no one expect anything of me!