Monday, October 26, 2009

Trainspotting

A friend recommended the movie Trainspotting about ten years ago. I finally saw it. And I am still affected by it. The movie, set in Edinburgh/Glasgow, is about a group of herione addicts and has great music and an odd storyline. That is not why I am affected, though. At the end of the movie, the main character, who throughout the film is alternately an addict and clean, ends up coming into money and walks off into the night explaining that he is now going to be "just like you." He recites the things that he will have: a TV, a car, a washer/dryer, a retirement account, children, a mortgage.

How is it that these are the things that we, as adults, aspire to in life?

When, exactly, did the dreaming end? At what phase of life? Where did my goal of joining the Peace Corp go, to be replaced by practicality, by frugality, by actuality? What about my dream of living abroad? Of taking my children with me, and finding a way?

I just cannot get the end of that movie out of my head.

2 comments:

Purple's Mom said...

I wonder if the beauty in this is that you are asking this question before you are even 40...when so many don't get to that until they are 90?? There is still so much time...reconnect with your dream and DO IT! :-)

Mike Of America® said...

Sounds like required viewing. :-)