Friday, August 1, 2008

A Lot of Changes


I've been saddened this week by the death of two friends' parents. (Dawn, my former sister in law, lost her mother to melanoma, and another friend lost her father in law suddenly).

It's made me think how shallow it was to complain about turning 37. How many people would give anything to be 37 again, with so much of life before them? How many people want years back that they'll never have again? I'm in good health, I have two beautiful, smart, happy daughters, a great career, a beautiful home, the best siblings a girl could have, and a heck of a lot of time to do things that I like to do (reading!). I can travel if I feel like it, it is summertime in Michigan (the best time of year to be here), and I have wonderful, dear friends who are like family to me. I have the best years of my life ahead of me- just think of the things I can look forward to! Grandchildren, bike rides, the frogs coming back to the frog pond, watching my many nieces and nephews grow. I am lucky to be 37.

2 comments:

nate and marne said...

good girl. some perspective is always good! yeah, if most of us make it to where you are in life, we would be happy! look at mom and dad, i've never seen them so happy as they are right now, at 62. and dad blew out all of his candles in one breath. that was a big breath! we were afraid he might hyperventilate!! we love you kirsty, and are sorry things are rough right now. it will get better, you'll see.

Hilary said...

Hi Kirsten- so sorry for the losses your friend's are experiencing but am glad that it seems to have sparked something in you to let you know how much you have ahead of you...you are truly beautiful inside and out. Marne's right, the best is yet to come. Thinking of you.
Hil x